Current Analysis Research Shows That IoT is Top Priority This Year Among Enterprise Development Initiatives
May 18, 2016 Leave a comment
• IoT represents the top cloud/mobile development initiative over the next 12 months among large global enterprises
• Other leading initiatives: mobilize on-premises apps; implement API services; develop/deploy B2C mobile apps; and implement MDM/MAM solutions
According to new Current Analysis research which polled almost 600 IT and developer professionals, mobile application development platform (MADP) implementations are well underway with over a third of companies (including 40 percent of enterprises) already having MADP implementations; and in fact, API initiatives, for adopting aggregation/management services, are already being launched among over one-quarter of those surveyed.
Top of mind among enterprises over the next 12 months are app development projects which support: mobile backend-as-a-service (MBaaS), microservices, platform-as-a-service (PaaS), and Internet of Things (IoT) In fact, large enterprises are making IoT their top priority over the next 12 months.
Key findings include data behind adoption plans, barriers, and development feature preferences. Highlights include:
• IoT represents the top initiative among large enterprises, as well as the top initiative for companies in Western Europe.
• Developing and deploying new B2E apps is a priority among SMB/mid-sized companies and the second most important initiative for enterprises.
• Other leading initiatives among all respondents include: mobilize traditional on-premises apps; implement new API services; develop and deploy new B2C mobile apps; and implement mobile device and app management solutions.
• In the next 12 months, customers will forgo homegrown solutions for vendor offerings around API and microservices.
• Enterprises lack faith in currently available mobile UX development frameworks, with the majority having plans to create their own designs internally.
• Over one-third of enterprises have already implemented MADP and over one-quarter have adopted API Services; Next priorities include MBaaS, microservices, PaaS, IoT.
• Security remains a key factor for mobile-centric IoT implementations when selecting a mobile and IoT app development solution.
• Companies prefer to consume API services via PaaS offerings, versus stand-alone offerings such as MBaaSes.
You can read the Market Advisory Report in its entirety, including purchase plans according to regions and company size, and vendor and customer recommendations. (Please see Enterprises Set Sights on IoT as the Next MADP Frontier, March 18, 2016).